Friday, May 23, 2008

Chick'n'n'taters

I now have FOUR (4) readers (welcome Jonny and Ange). Wow. I'm like totally famous now and you'll be seeing me on perezhilton.com.

Anyway, one new reader (Hi Ange!) said something in an email about my chicken and potatoes recipe so here it is:

chicken breasts (1 or 2 per person you'll be feeding)
potatoes (1 or 2 per person you'll be feeding) (I like yukon golds but anything will work)
olive oil
lemon juice
garlic or garlic powder (not garlic salt)
cayenne (or paprika if you don't like cayenne)
cumin if you're feelin' all fancy
salt (sea salt is nice)

Make sure the chicken breast are boneless and skinless (cut the bones out and the skin off...kill chicken if necessary) (free-range chicken breasts are WAY better than those bags of chicken boobs in the cheap freezer bin at the store. organic is nice but prohibitively expensive) in the other ingredients. Go easy on the olive oil. Use more lemon juice than you think you need.
Slice the potatoes about 1/4 thick. Leave the peels on them.
Marinate the chicken and taters in a glass or stainless steal or plastic bowl or pan for however long you have (10 minutes to overnight...don't use aluminum because the lemon and salt make a serious acid and the food will get a metalic tang taste in aluminum and the aluminum will get pitted)

Preheat the oven to 450 or more. You can even broil this or use your contact grill, or charcoal grill or gas grill.
Spread chicken and taters in a single layer on a pan or two (avoid aluminum if you can. don't use your cast iron unless you want to start all over seasoning it).
Bake/broil/grill until the chicken is done through and the taters are soft enough to eat. I usually put a lid on the pan for all but the last bit of time to keep the chicken from getting too dry.

Serve and enjoy. It's good with a side of tabouli or noodles and steamed veg. Or salad.

3 comments:

Pamela said...

4 readers?! You are well the fittest girl on the internets or something or nothing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill or Everyone who is privvy (privy?) to this blog. I feel so famouse too --Jonny and I are going to ride your coat tails right to the White House! I'm assuming you are going to step in and be the "spoiler" candidate now that Nader is getting older. Anyway, I'm lovin' the blog. I especially love how you annotate your recipes with little quips and such. I was so jealous of the homemade cookbook you made for Jonny! However, given that I would only eat 4.3% of what's in it (too many veggies!), I think you made a wise choice to send it to Jonny. Angela (p.s. Is my comment too long?)

Jill said...

thanks poodles!
Ange: if you tell me what you like, I'll make you a cookbook. I like to write cookbooks and have done a few. They are all one off.

Pam: I am well the fittest girl on the internets. Stop giving me cyber-evils!