Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Vegan Monologues

I see it's been 3 days since my last post. Apologies. I have a life sometimes.
Also I'm staying in the house that has no interweb services.

Anyway, since I have a week without the complication of feeding a teen...I'm trying a week of veganism to see if vegetarianism is an option for me. I'm trying vegan since I barely eat dairy anyway and have no eggs in the house to cook with.

So far so good. It's been 2 days vegan.

I tried some "Field Roast" italian style fake sausages with pasta last night. Not bad. Then I had another over lunch with left over pasta. That seemed to be a bit much. I am belching fake sausage. It tasted OK and the texture is not appalling so I may try it again but not two meals in a row.

I also down loaded the recipe for tofu fake fudgsicles. I'll let you know soon if those work out. If they do it will be cool. You can have dessert and count it as a protein.

Supper today will probably be something featuring collard greens because they are about to go bad and I gotta eat'em up. I have some potatoes, a tomato, and an onion so I could go with a collard stirfy/hash thingy that I know is quite nice. OR if you take the stems off kale and put the coarsely chopped leaves in a medium oven you make kale chips. I might try that with the collards because it is a nice way to eat greens.

Breakfast today was almonds, craisins, and coffee. And jam on left over french bread. That was yummy. It's sad that sugar is vegan. I would probably gain weight if I decided to go vegan fulltime. It won't be soon though.

And thanks to Heather for this link to a cool slide show telling you why it is HORRIBLE to use plastic bags:
http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080506/MULTIMEDIA02/80505016

I'll post more about my grocery bag adventures one of these days. Once again I had a grocery clerk try to bag my groceries in evil plastic bags THEN put them in my handy basket. I made her take them out of the bags and then put then directly in the basket. She was mortified by the naked onion just touching the bananas like the onion-slut it was. Wierd. A clerk at the food co-op (where they are used to people just letting food touch) dug through my bag to find one of my reusable produce bags to isolate an onion from touching anything else. Whatever. Though that seemed MORE odd when he let the soggy collard greens touch the paper bag of cocoa powder. I hate it when they put wet stuff next to powders in paperbags. I'm going to end up bagging it myself (and not in a naughty way).

4 comments:

Jill said...

Ange: you CAN make a very delicious chocolate cake with no eggs, milk, etc.

Here is the recipe:
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1/4 cup cocoa powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
* 1 cup water

* add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box
My folders:
* add to shopping list Add to Shopping List
* add a personal note Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x5 inch loaf pan.
2. Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth.
3. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

Anonymous said...

Wow Jill, Thanks! I love it when you give me recipes, esp. when you annotate them with little Jill-isms. I still have my crappie recipes, you know.

But I am confused about something. Your recipe doesn't call for eggs. However, whenever *I* make a chocolate cake, the Duncan Hines box says to add one egg.
???

Angela

Fly Right said...

I had a slice of really delicious pistachio cake that was vegan at my friend Allison's party. And I don't really care too much for cake! Also, my friend Mo's chocolate wedding cake was vegan and delicious. I think they had apple sauce in them instead of eggs.

I was a vegan for a very short time long ago. Since I'm highly tolerant of lactose, I'll just stick to the vegetarianism.

Jill said...

oh Angela....sigh.

Actually, you've eaten this eggless chocolate cake if you've ever had chocolate cake or cupcakes that I made over the years. I started making this cake when I was in college.

It's even better because the batter is harmless...no raw eggs. So if you're feeling the urge to lick the bowl, you totally can.