Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Home, Home on the Rez...

Where the stray dogs and cats play...
sort of lost the rhyme there but you know what I mean.

I'm back in Plummer. I avoided work but just snuck into the office late to update the blog on the office computer (no dial up or anything at the trailer anymore).

Turns out on Tuesday I drove 792 miles...cripes! Too far.
Only about 230 to get to the rez. I plan to come to work super early tomorrow so staying in Plummer tonight rather than driving another 100 miles to Spokane and back.

I think the weekend will involve many things that do NOT include driving.

The last day on the road was thankfully uneventful.

I haven't gotten the flood update this evening. At noonish the house was still drying, the stairs were still not opened up, but Stan had come to get his giant generator and move some stuff out of the neighbor's yard back into Sher's yard (some piece of equipment). Sher had pulled nails out of wall studs until the house got too hot from the dehumidifiers. She's going to find out how long before she can paint those with Killz and get the wallboard back up.

Sher is also researching floors to replace the hardwood. She is thinking cork for the kitchen.

Here is some back story that didn't make it in earlier blogs.

Fred said that for the next flood he has that 10 sand bag system (just block the holes in the foundation rather than trying to build a levee).

Pam suggested a 2 bullet system instead. One for Fred to shoot himself. And one for Sher to make sure he's dead... (we're not a nice people...but we DO show up if you actually survive the disaster. And if you don't survive the disaster we make sure there is plenty of jell-o salad at the funeral. It's the least we can do.)

Fred and Sher will be going to Elkader for a day over the 4th which is nice. A little break will do them good. There isn't that much left that can be done by them personally until it's time to paint and paper. I wonder if Sher can contract herself to do the work...then use a Small Business Administration loan to pay herself. If Cheney/Haliburton can do it, why not Sher?
(sorry...politics just snuck in there)

OH MY GOD!!! I forgot to ask what they ate today!! Damn.

The No 'Poo (as in no SHAMpoo...see previous posts for explanation) update: My hair still had a crust of plaster dust and poowater on it even after a couple of good washings. It felt like it had glue or some sort of shit-adobe in it. So I filled the sink with water and baking soda and soaked my head in it for like 20 minutes then did a dilute apple cider vinegar rinse. Now it is clean and SUPER fluffy. And I do NOT smell like pickles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill, Pam, and Wagner Clan,

OK, the patented "two-bullet system" for dealing with certain irracible characters has now gone global. I told my 3 brothers in Dyersville, Iowa; Spirit Lake, Iowa; Agana, Guam; as well as my cousins in Omaha, Nebraska; Iowa City, Iowa; Decorah, Iowa; Honolulu, Hawaii; and my mom in Dubuque, Iowa. I will probably repeat it to many, many friends and colleagues over the next few weeks and months. However, because I am an English teacher, I will tell it this way:

According to Pamela Wagner, ____ (personal interview, July 2, 2008). Proper MLA documentation of quotes is kind of hard to do verbally, but I will make every effort to show proper attribution.

I'm sorry, but a statement that good just needs to be read/heard. Plus, it totally sounds like something a Gulick/Schuster might say.

Jill, I hope you have recovered from your Suburu-lag (or whatever it is that you drive) and can use the three-day weekend to get caught up with life. My thoughts continue to be with your family, their struggles, and on all that cake just sitting around there in Waverly, Iowa. I really do love cake.
Take good care, y'all.

Your friend,
Ashley

Fly Right said...

Glad you made it back safely and have a couple of days to recover. Tell Pam to get on the stick with the food reports--inquiring minds want to know! I still have Jon's birthday ice cream cake sending out its siren song to me from deep within the freezer. We probably won't get to it until Saturday. Unless we have a delicious ice cream cake holiday breakfast tomorrow. Might as well start the day out by eating crap to kind of set the tone for the rest of the day. . .