Sunday, July 20, 2008

Mmmm.....Thai Foooooodddd....

(be sure and say that title like Homer Simpson says "mmmm....doooooonutsss")
I tried to find the "mmm donuts" clip on youtube but it's not there. Just do your own version, please.

Anyway, it wasn't frugal or simple or anything, but Heather (a friend) and I went out for Thai food today. It was DELICIOUS. I had Larb Gai. Chopped chicken over veggies which were mostly raw cabbage. So actually, if I would cook it myself it would be simple and frugal and healthy. The dressing/sauce is quite piquant and extremely delicious. Perhaps I should learn to make it. I wonder if a recipe exists....

Here's one from http://www.importfood.com/recipes/spicychicken.html:
Ingredients

1 lb ground chicken
2 tablespoons sliced shallot
2 tablespoons finely chopped spring onion
1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
3 tablespoons roasted rice powder (khao koor)
2 tablespoons ground Thai chile (be sure to use real Thai ground chile)
3 tablespoons lime juice
2-3 tablespoons fish sauce

Garnish

Always serve with a good portion of fresh cabbage, and add green beans, parsley, sliced radish, cucumber, & coriander leaves if you like.

Method

You can use ground chicken from the supermarket, or chicken ground in your food processor. Cook the chicken with 2 tablespoons lime juice in a pan over moderate heat. Stir until done. Transfer cooked chicken into medium mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, and mix well. Taste and season as desired. You might want more or less ground chile and/or fish sauce, etc. Serve with fresh vegetables (as shown) and warm, freshly-steamed sticky rice (or if you prefer you can use Thai Jasmine Rice). Note: if you like chicken giblets, cut them up into small pieces and cook in boiling water. Drain then add to cooked ground chicken before you add the other ingredients.

The usual way to eat this is to get a small ball of sticky rice in the fingers and use it to pick up a little lawb, then eat it with the raw veggies. You can also use a fork and spoon as a lot of Thais do.


I have never tried eating it with the sticky rice method. I do use sticky rice to soak up the delicious sauce/dressing.

Also, mine today had more veg than this picture shows. But it was the prettiest picture.


Supper actually was simple...cold leftovers and some watermelon. It is too damn hot to cook. It's almost too damn hot to move. I'm sure it's too damn hot to sleep. oh well. I don't have to be up until 3:45am...just about the time it cools off.

If either of my loyal readers would like to try to make Larb Gai and tell me how it goes, that would be fine.

1 comment:

Fly Right said...

One of your readers doesn't eat chicken, though. . . I guess it's up to Ang.