Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Asteroids!


It was a meteor, not an asteroid, but like 3 of my friends will get the reference to Girls Will Be Girls, the best all drag film of all time.

I was driving to work this morning at some on godly hour like 5:30am and I happened to look to my left (rather than at the edges of the road where the @$#&%)# deer are always hiding.
And there it was. A meteor / shooting star! How cool is that?

It was just a line at first and then I totally saw it burn up when it hit the atmosphere. There was a tail like they show on a comet. Then it burned out.

I've never seen one do that.
Let's see if I can find a picture of how it looked:

This is it.
















BUT that is a comet, not a meteor or meteorite.

Now I have to look up the difference between a meteor and a meteorite.
One moment please....


OK, according to the always reliable Wikipedia, this is the deal:
A meteoroid is a small sand- to boulder-sized particle of debris in the solar system The visible path of a meteoroid that enters Earth's (or another body's) atmosphere is a meteor, commonly called a "shooting star" or "falling star". On reaching the ground, a meteor is then called a meteorite.

So I saw a meteor which is the visible trail of a meteoroid and if I could find the lump of stuff that hit the ground, that would be the meteorite.

No comments: