Thursday, September 18, 2008

Not Much to Say

I don't have much to say today, I just want to stay at least 40 posts ahead of the Flood Blog.

Actually, I have a question today.

It's time to make some changes so I'm wondering if any readers have a recipe or two they'd like to submit. We're coming up on squash and apple season and I get sick of just eating apples and baked squash. I had some squash soup today and frankly, I like my homemade better than the purchases stuff even if it is organic. So I'll probably make that.

What else can I do with squash?

Any non-dairy way to jazz up eating all those apples? (I can take the dairy out of some recipes but probably not something like "cheese on apples" or "apples in creme fraiche") ... (....apples in creme fraiche. That would be delicious).

To get you started, here's my recipe for squash soup. I got it out of some free healthnut rag they give out at the co-op.
...
...

CRAP!!!! I've lost the recipe. I love that recipe. OK, if anyone has a recipe for butternut squash soup with apples or pears (it was an option), please please send it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,

There will probably be 393 ways you can't/choose not to eat this, but it is my favorite dessert recipe and absolutely siiiiiiiiiiiiings autumn for me. Probably because I associate it with my mom. If you don't want the crumbly topping, you can just prepare the apples as directed (I did that once because I lacked all the crumble topping ingredients).

As for squash, it is a vegetable and therefore completely foreign to me. My mom has used squash to make "pumpkin" pie, and my friend Trish always swore by something called spaghetti squash which could pass for spaghetti if you were drunk or near-sighted (OK, that last part was me).

Hey, is it possible to have too long a comment?

My Mom's [heart] Apple Crisp
• 8 large apples, peeled and sliced
• 1-1/2 cups brown sugar
• 1 cup flour
• 1 cup oatmeal
• 1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
• 1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
• 2/3 cup soft oleo

Grease large Pyrex dish and place peeled/sliced apples. Mix remaining ingredients and place topping on apples. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 - 50 minutes.

Fly Right said...

Here's a squash soup recipe from the low-fat Moosewood cookbook (the vegetarian Bible of cooking):

1 cup diced onions
1 celery stalk
1 clove of garlic, minced or pressed
1 cup unsweetened apple juice
1 butternut squash (about 1 lb) peeled, seeded, and cubed
1 potato, diced
3 cups water or vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 6 oz)
3 tablespoons dry sherry
1 tablespoon soy sauce
pinch of dried marjoram
2/3 cup evaporated skimmed milk
salt and ground black pepper to taste

Combine onions, celery, garlic and apple juice in large pot. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the squash, potato, water/stock, bay leaf, thyme, salt and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, cover, lower the heat and simmer until the veg are very soft, about 20-25 min).

While the soup simmers, saute the mushrooms in an uncovered skillet with the sherry, soy sauce, and marjoram until the mushrooms are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated (about 5 min)--set aside.

When the squash/potatoes are very soft, remove the soup pot from the heat and, working in batches, puree the soup with the evaporated skinned milk in a blender or food processor. Reheat gently. Add salt and pepper. Serve topped with the sauteed mushrooms.

Don't know what the vegan version of the evaporated milk is, but you probably could find something. It sounds good, but I haven't tried it (yet)! I also don't keep sherry around the house (not your mom, but the booze--maybe you do. Otherwise, I think dry vermouth can be used instead of sherry in recipes)