Tuesday, November 9, 2021

What if I Stretched This Slow Fashion Thing a Bit Further?

 Like, I'm thinking I could NOT buy any clothes in 2022.   I've started looking at my clothing stock and what tends to come in to it regularly.

I have shortsleeve t shirts coming out my ears.  And I get some free now and then.

Could use a long sleeved t or two.  Easy to get at thrift I think.

Sweatshirts, enough, not too many but enough.

Enough undies for now, but aging.  3 new pairs kept in back stock should sort it out.

A good supply of warm sox, need to check into the summer weight sox stock.

Bras...could probably make it a year if I had 1 new good bra and kept it out of full rotation until needed.

Jeans/pants:  Numbers wise I have enough, but some are thin summer pants that I tear up fast so actually...1-2 decent pairs of all cotton jeans in backstock would get me through a year easily, especially if I do better at changing in to work pants before doing chores.

Sweaters....plenty.  I am actually wearing a really nice Dale of Norway sweater with pewter buttons as jammies.   I put a long sleeve t or hoodie over it, and a t-shirt under it.  Toasty.

Longjohns.  Supply is probably just enough to make it.  1 pair totally worn out, 3 pairs OK (1 is jammies).

Coats...don't get me started!

Rainpants...actually need a pair of these.   The ones I have are too big and in tatters.  Maybe 50% effective.

Workpants: I'm ok on these.  They don't all fit but who cares when you are shoveling sh*t?

Hats: I'm OK.

Gloves...hmmm...if I don't lose them I kind of have enough for warmth, but work gloves I should have 2 more pairs.   They get wet/bloody and I need a dry pair available when that happens.

Boots: peachy!  Tall rubber boots, insulated muck boots, and hiking boots (2 of 3 pairs bought by work), crappy old boots for hazmat work, 1 pair of steel toes, and....well, there are more.  Might need some repaired but not replaced.

Shoes: 3 old pairs but they will be fine.

Button down shirts...plenty.  I would like to wear a few out actually.

Undershirts/shells:  I could use a blue and a grey tank top.  

No formal wear to speak of but that almost never comes up and I can probably borrow a garment if I really need it.


I can work with this and come up with a list of things and double check backstock.   Get it all sorted by the time Jan 1 comes around and try for a no-clothes-buy 2022 if I feel like it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very thorough. I'm not going to commit to no 2022 clothing purchases for myself, but it's a good idea to do a review of my wardrobe. Having been working from home for the past 18 months, I haven't needed to deal with my work wardrobe, which is business casual. Jeans most of the time - but not sneakers/sweats level casual (darn it!). And there used to be face-to-face work meetings with third parties which have turned into zoom type meetings...but can possibly return to face-to-face since we're returning to the office on a hybrid basis in January, and I'm sure other companies are as well. Not worrying about my work wardrobe has been a nice side benefit to working remotely for the past 18+ months. Especially since I don't particularly like clothes-shopping.

I recently swapped summer for winter clothes and noticed a real difference in short, elbow, and 3/4 sleeve tops (a LOT) vs. long sleeve tops (not enough). At home, it's no big deal, I can throw on and off sweaters or fleeces as needed. At the office, however, I sit in a cubicle backing up to a wall of windows with south and east exposure. The sun blasts me all morning and afternoon, so there's not much call for warm clothing...until it clouds up, or there are meetings in cool conference rooms, and of course the commute between office and train station and train and home in a wide range of weather ("if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes" kind of weather). A co-worker and I joke that we need to wear tube tops, shorts, and flip-flops at work - it's that beastly hot in our area! (old but iconic downtown skyscraper)

So dressing to be seasonally appropriate in the office during the fall and winter is a challenge. No cozy sweaters, no turtlenecks. I guess I just need to learn to layer up and down more effectively. Hopefully it that can be done without toting an entire wardrobe of cardigans and wraps during my commute, or purchasing an entire separate wardrobe of them to keep in the office. Being a hybrid employee just makes things a bit more complicated in that respect.

Jill said...

Very different work environment from mine. I have 2 or 3 "good" button down long-sleeve tops on hangars on the back of my office door. Today it is 2 batiks (from thrift) and 1 official logo'd shirt. And I have 1 good pair of pants in case I fall in mud or am called to a formal gov't meeting in real life. This gets me by. I have co-workers who ROAST the office and we can't break into the thermostat to change that. I open my window a bit in the winter. Wasteful of heat but now it counts as "ventilation." Jeans and fleece IS the formal here so I have more leeway than you do.

Angela Gulick said...

Jill, if I get married this year, will you wear your fanciest button-down shirt and your cleanest shit-kicker boots to my festivities? And maybe we can fashion you a tiara out of some old barbed wire or hurricane fencing material?

Fortunately, I think the statistical chances of me GETTING married this year are quite low, but you know me. I do like to plan ahead... Angela

Jill said...

Oh Ange..for you I would break the rules and buy a totally new thrift outfit! Or, crack out the least faded jeans and shiniest shit kickers.