Monday, November 15, 2021

Power Outage...but NOT at my place

 So I'm driving home, as one does when work is over AND the power keeps going on and off at the office.

The power was back on in the town where I work, but then, everything was dark.  A car was off the road and a tree or two down.  Of course, it's 5pm and pitch dark because we are having a wind storm with a bit of rain.  Clouds.  No moon or stars.  Then I notice, also only like one lighted window per house along the road, the occassional porch light, probably solar.

It took me a bit, but then I figured out the power was out.  Possibly due to the downed trees or car jammed against a power pole (brand new power pole....busted in half).

At my house, the solar panels are still up (knocking on wood now) and I have as much power as I ever do after a cloudy day.

My life didn't change. 

This makes me smirk.   All the preppers with crap in their giant a$$ freezers are now finding a bit crap in their pants.  I keep shelf stable things that can freeze and thaw a few times (dry beans, dry yeast, flour, pasta in jars).  With the wind there won't be a fire in my stove tonight, but it's still 50 degs outside so it's not a problem.  Sometimes it gets down to freezing in here on a windy night, but still, I might need to take a couple of frozen eggs and make pancakes instead of scrambled eggs.

Those with frozen meat and fridges are hoping that the massive power outage is over soon, or it freezes hard (well, those who realize they can put things outside if it's cold enough want it to freeze.  Those with pellet stoves or electric heat are not that much for it),

Yesterday it was windy, but also sunny enough that I ran a little space heater most of the day when I was inside so my toes were warm.  I didn't really need it, but, why not?  The batteries were full and everything past that isn't stored up anyway.

So, there you go.  Solar wins again.


No comments: