Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Even Slower Fashion October

 Yeah, that's right.  Struggling with titles.  Leave it alone.

I talked to a couple of friends and they too were stunned at the thought of wearing something a few times and chucking it or donating it.  We were chatting and wearing clothes with visible wear and tear from age, wearings and work (and my tendency to run into barbed wire).

E.G. today's ensemble:

Shoes bought new and worn almost daily since I got them (on sale) (obviously) so over 100 times so far.

Sox:  Gift (Thanks Marcie!) and worn 2x so far this week.  I got them over a year ago and they are summer weight so probably over 100 wearings to dat.

Pants:  Jeans bought at thrift (hopefully after the original owner wore them more than a few times).  I've had them 2 years or more.  I put clean jeans on Mondays and wear them until they are stinky/dirty or it's the weekend.  So, day 2 this week.  And I wore them last week .   Right now I have 4 pairs of jeans in rotation and haven't put a new pair in the mix for over a year so...lots of wearings.

Undies: bought new in the box, but at thrift (and as it turns out a size too small but dammit I WILL get my money's worth out of these).  I've had them since the beginning of 'rona.  Many wearings...unlike jeans, they get worn once and washed, not for the week.

"Foundation Garment": ...ok, it's the bra.  BOUGHT NEW (at TJMaxx) over a year ago.  I have 4 in rotation so it must get 365/4 wearings per year...OK, true confessions, no bras on the weekend so more like 265/4 per year.  About 66 wearings per bra per year.   I do have one bra that is a frankenbra made from 2 others.  1 had the hooks all torn up and stabbing me but was otherwise fine, the other was so low cut in the front that the hams weren't staying in the sack unless I was just sitting at a desk all day.  So, hooks off both, good hooks sewn onto the better formatted bra, and voila...more life in that foundation garment.

Shirt: a tank top for under button downs.  I got it at thrift YEARS ago.  Like I can't remember how many years ago. It is a really good quality one and won't seem to wear out.  If I've had it 3 years (it's been longer), I wear the tank tops half the year under button downs and to yoga etc,, one wearing then washed.  So, about 20 wearings a year per tank which puts this at 60 wearings minimum and I'm thinking more.

Sweatshirt: like the jeans, put on on Monday (always with a t-shirt or tank under sweatshirts to keep them less sweaty), and wear it until soiled.  I wore it 3 days last week, 2 so far this week.  Had it a year, wear it half the year.  50+ wearings.  Bought at thrift and it has the design section of a previous sweatshirt applique'd on it (thanks Anne!).

Coat:  Bought at thrift over 5 years ago.  It is a letterman's jacket from the 1990s.  Super warm and sturdy.  Worn lots in the winter.  I'm going to say 50+, likely 100+ wearings.  

I did buy 3 more undies because I found them new in the box, and in the right size, at thrift.  Also got a new or nearly new pair of Carhartt work pants at thrift (10$!!!  so expensive but they fit and have no spandex.  We know how I feel about spandex).  They are at the bottom of the pile of 3 pairs of work pants.  As the ones above them wear out, these will come into rotation.  Or if I fall in the creek twice and get down to the third pair in a day.


No comments: