Sunday, October 11, 2020

10 Day Local Food Challenge: Day 7

 Well past the midpoint now.

Today I was home and THOUGHT I would have more time to cook.  I did not.  

1) it was raining much of the day and  my outdoor stove doesn't do rain.  This meant no onion frying.  No stinky food making in the house.  

2) the woodstove wasn't needed.  This means no slow cooked stew or sizable baking or roasted potatoes (roasted inside the firebox).

3) I was super busy.

Hence, apple pancakes for breakfast with coffee and water.

Lunch was late because the neighbor was helping me get the truck window back UP.  Why don't window motors break when the window is up?

I got back to the wee shed about 45 minutes before the next thing had to start so I fried up zucchini slices, zucchini from the friends' garden, and scrambled a couple of eggs, then made a vinegar-baking soda raised cake thing with a bit of honey and cinnamon for flavor.  I used vinegar I was soaking local blackberries in.  I didn't taste any black berry but the bannock was sort of pink.  Next time I will put the honey in warm water, there is also water in the recipe, so it is mixed throughout more easily.  It was 45 degrees inside the shed at that point and the honey was a bit hard.

That did take about 20 min to cook so used up a bit of butane.  Bummer.

Supper...more scrambled eggs and stewed apples with a cinnamon bannock on top as a dumpling.  I could have boiled a potato but I forgot.   

I've used all the exotics I picked except sugar. To review...the exotics:


1 coffee

2 tea

3 sugar 

4 baking soda

5 cocoa

6 coconut oil

7 salt

8 pepper

9 vinegar

10 mustard seeds


If I drink my kombucha, that will cover the sugar.



No comments: