Wednesday, October 7, 2020

10 Day Local Challenge: Day 3

 So far so good!

I had a work field trip and this motivated me to cook the night before.

Frankly, it was delicious.

I made mashed squash with onion, garlic and tarragon.  The garlic and tarragon were from my garden.  I chopped it up, boiled it together and called it a day.  Half was dinner last night and half went in to lunch.  Also boiled eggs from my chickens, homemade mustard (mustard seeds and vinegar are 2 of my exotics).  And, a sort of blackberry pudding cake thing.  I mashed berries, picked by me, into about a cup of juice and berry guts.  Added local flour, local honey, and a bit of baking soda (another exotic).  Baked it in a makeshift dutch oven on my butane stove.  It was DELICIOUS.  It may be a new standard recipe in full rotation.

For dinner tonight I picked the last of my green tomatoes and fried them in coconut oil (another exotic), local flour and egg wash (my hen's egg) and a bit of salt and pepper (2 more exotics).  Delicious.  I had a bit of egg and flour left after dipping all the tomato slices so I mixed it together and fried it up.  What the heck.

Breakfast today was a pancake made with one of my eggs (well, from a hen), local flour, coconut oil (exotic) and topped with a bit of honey.  I thinned the batter with water.  If I did dairy I could have used that, but I don't so I didn't.  It was fine.  Texture wasn't great but the taste was good.

Oh, also for dinner today, had my apples diced and stewed up a bit with local honey and a few elderberries I picked while on the field trip today.  Quite good. 

I'm not very hungry and this is forcing me to cut crap out of my diet as well.  


So, that's the update.

No comments: