Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Will It Wipe? Testing Mullein Leaves

The usual warnings:  DO NOT FLUSH THIS STUFF!!!  Only flush things you already ate.

AND WASH YOUR DAMN HANDS!!!!!     !!!!!

And now for our 6th Contestant

Mullein Leaves
The plant:
Herb to Know: Mullein (Verbascum thapsus)


The leaves right now:
Great Mullein – Truelove Seeds

Thanks to the commentor who suggested this.  My mullein was a bit too small when the suggestion came in but has come along nicely now.

Bit of a warning...for those of us with super sensitive skin, be sure to test this on your inner forearm before diving in for a real good wipe.   I have sensitive skin...lesson learned.

PREP:
Pick it and it's ready.  Maybe knock the dirt or dust off and any bugs that might be on it

SCRATCH FACTOR:  3.5/5
It IS quite soft but the tiny hairs on the leaves are also a bit irritating for sensitive skin so be sure to rub it on your inner forearm as a test before actual use.  If I had normal skin, I think it would be quite nice.

EASE OF USE:  4.5/5
Zero prep, just remember to pick it before the situation becomes a crisis and you are doing the potty dance.

PAPER-CUT SAFETY:  5/5
I couldn't come up with a scenario where this plant could cut me so...100% safety!

ABSORBENCY:  3.5/5
Not terribly absorbent, better than say shiny catalog paper but less than real TP

CLEANSING POWER:  5/5
Excellent!  Scrubbing action good but not sharp.  Thick leaves mean no poke-through.

AVAILABILITY:  4/5
This is the availability for ME.  Your availability will vary.  I have 36 acres of weeds and the mullein is plentiful.  The bees like it too so I'm not working very hard to get rid of it.

Bold Name of Tested Product COMPOSITE SCORE: 25.5/30

So, more suggestions please.
Or perhaps someone disagrees with my assessment?

1 comment:

Ammie said...

I make ear drops from mullein flowers. I've used it twice, and it worked both times. I think this plant has powerful medicinal properties, which might explain your sensitivity to it.