Saturday, April 18, 2020

CHICKENS!!!! 2020 Edition

So, I got chickens.  These are the ones my friend (HI Cindy) tagged as the chronic runaways so not worthy of her egg business (which is going NUTS during the quarantine...YAY local food!!! )



I have had them LESS than 24 hours.  About 20 hours actually since we put them in my cool chicken carrier in the back of the pick up.  About 18 hours since they went in my crappy coop.

Well, the main runner was already OUT of the chicken run.  She wasn't in the garden yet, but you know, matter of time.   These two are SUPER tame so easy to catch.  Perhaps my new exercise regime is chick'n chas'n. 

Still, really glad to have them.  I need to get some real feed because I actually would like eggs this time.  I may have to make more of a "fort knox" type chicken run.

I think it is the red-necked one in the picture, the one without her butt toward the camera.  So, what would you name a red-neck runaway teenager?  .....  Brittany!   The other one is more mellow so I'm thinking Suzanne.    Welcome to Brittany and Suzanne.  They are enjoying wheat berries, a banana peel and some clementine peels for breakfast. 

Later, they get a mouse I trapped in the upper raised bed.  I had to use some of my pandemic peanut butter ...GOOD organic all natural stuff... to bait the trap.  Must remember to get crappy cheap peanut butter for mouse bait.


No comments: