Monday, March 23, 2020

Will It Wipe?: A New Series for the Crapocalypse

So, the TP...really people?
I know you need a focus for your fears but TP and ammo may not be the best foci.  Especially the TP. If you use the ammo to shoot a squirrel you can probably get enough hide and a tail and wipe your butt like 2 or 3 times after poorly prepared squirrel meat gives you diarrhea.  TP is a one and done.

Anyway, here's the deal.  Since I do have the compost turlet facility, I can safely test a variety of TP alternatives.  So I will...sorry Mom!

WARNING:  THIS IS WIPE, not flush.  PUT TP ALTERNATIVES IN A TRASH CAN OR BAG.  At last, a use for the 17, 032 grocery bags under your kitchen sink.  You can use paper bags, plastic bags, trash cans, old boxes, empty facial tissue boxes, bins...anything.

I use paper lunch sacks.  A friend years ago had a touchy septic system and TP had to go in a paper grocery bag by the turlet.  I asked her if she then bagged it and hauled to the dump...no home trash service.  Nope, it's excellent kindling.  I have a smaller stove, so smaller bag.

AND: WASH YOUR DAMN HANDS.  No amount of paper will save you from e-coli.  Just wash your damn hands.

And now, our first contestant:

Left over tissue paper saved from Xmas and other gifts or if you bought a nice shirt in 1972 (they came in a box and the shirt was wrapped in tissue paper).
Tissue paper
It won't be all flat and tidy like this if it's my left over paper, but you get the idea.
I had white and tan available, not bright colors.  Make your own choices on that.

PREP:
It's a bit slick, but not shiny so you'll want to scrub it around between your hands a bit to rough it up.  This increases absorbency and decreases the paper-cut potential.

I'll be testing on #1 for the most part since ...well, we'll just leave it at that.

Assessment Parameters:

SCRATCH FACTOR:  3/5
Not bad.  Not super soft, but not horrible.

EASE OF USE:  4.5/5
Excellent!  Only TP on the roll is easier.  I suppose I could roll it and make fake TP with old TP tubes but really...I just grabbed it out of the fire-starter-supplies pile near the kindling.

PAPER-CUT SAFETY:  4/5
Very unlikely.  Keep the edges folded in and under and soften it up a bit and you'll be fine.

ABSORBENCY:
Pretty good!  4/5.  Again, scrubbing it between your hands before use helps up the absorbency and use a bit more than you think you'll need as tissue paper soaks through quickly.

CLEANSING POWER:  5/5
Good!  Again, testing on #1s, but I'm going to predict it as good since it was not at all "slick".  Individual results may vary.

AVAILABILITY:  3/5
This will be based on your propensity to save bits of things like gift wrap.  I do, so it's pretty available to me.

Left over tissue paper COMPOSITE SCORE:  23.5/30


In the comments feel free to offer suggestions for possible TP substitutes.  I won't test them all, but if I do test your suggestion...well, then I do.  No shout-outs promised, no give-aways, nothing.  Nada.  Deal with it people.


4 comments:

Unknown said...


Even your mother thinks this is hilarious! Laughs are what we all need right now.

Jill said...

Are you my mommy?

Anonymous said...

Hilarity ensues from a very serious subject-the dearth of toilet paper! I counted my rolls of "white gold"
recently and have enough for a few weeks. So squirrel hide may not be required yet.
But how about mullien plant leaf?

Jill said...

I will give it a shot!

Also...the previous comment was indeed my mommy!