Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Bountiful Baskets?

I've done it.  I'm trying a Bountiful Basket this week.  I signed up for 1 organic basket.  Supposedly you get like 40 dollars worth of fruit and veggies in a basic basket (which is not an actual basket...byo bags and etc) for 15$.  For a 10$ charge you upgrade to organic.   They try to source as close to the distribution point as possible, though that can be pretty far away for things like bananas.  With a first time basket fee (3$ for the container that goes to the distribution center) and the 4$ fuel surcharge for my area, my total was $32.00.   I may not make the magical $1/lb line, but we'll see.  I don't often make that anyway right now for things like organic onions.  

In other veggie/fruit news:  I got 2lbs of bananas at the local market for 49cents and 3 or 4 lbs of sweet peppers for $2.49...not bad.  Both under the $1/lb mark.  The bananas should be fine pesticide wise...the peppers not so much but I got them anyway.  I like to have a back stock of chopped peppers in the freezer if I can.   It makes for MUCH better pasta sauce and chili than no peppers or all dried peppers.  Same with onions but I'm out of all but dried and don't care to buy inorganic onions. 

I'll keep you posted on the Bountiful Basket take and see if it's worth it.

No comments: