Thursday, May 9, 2013

Woohoo Craigslist!

I don't know if I've blogged about how much I hate mowing lawns.  Probably.   Here's a short review:
I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate mowing lawns.  I don't get it.   Why cultivate something that you cut, fertilized, cut, water, cut....etc.  Anyway, there you have it.

And yet...as a renter, that's part of the deal.  I have a reel mower like this:











Actually, that might even be the right brand.  I've had it for 15 years and maybe use it 5 times a year.  

The current lawn generally gets too tall in the spring to make any progress with that type of mower and I have to hire it done:  40$ (and the person may or may not show).  I hate that.
Sometimes, like say this year, the landlord concedes defeat and hits it with his riding lawn mower.   He did that last weekend.  The damn lawn already needs mowed again!   It hasn't even rained.

So, in the quest to be a decent tenant I've been scanning craigslist.  Once upon a time I had use of an electric mower and liked it better than gas.  1) quieter  2) no fumes 3) works good enough.   So I thought perhaps I could try that again.

Sure enough, there was an ad for this mower:


It retails for about 240$ to 260$.   Slightly used on craigslist:   $40.
And it came with a heavy gauge cord (which you need unless you want to start fires all the time......hmmmm......no, burning grass off just makes it grow better).


Good deal.   I may try to mow a bit tonight to keep ahead of the stupid lawn.  I'm sure I'll fall behind again but I think getting a more effective mower shows good faith on my part.






No comments: