Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Anti-Inflammatory April Update 1, with Banana Eggs Recipes

 Yes, "recipes," but that's for the end (is that a teaser or a spoiler?)


It is going well.  I even passed up a brownie yesterday!  The maker declared that his brownies were the best and I made assumptions about scratch cooking with top notch ingredients.   Turns out it was a mix but he put half the mix in the pan, then a layer of chocolate candy bars, then more batter.   So, it would have been delicious but SUPER inflammatory. 

When I got home, I made a chocolate thing...I don't know what it would be.  3T organic whole wheat flour, 1 T vital wheat gluten for a protein boost and to use it up, 1 large egg and 1 airfart egg (a tiny egg with only white in it, no yolk, laid by a hen who is just getting started with the egg laying), some no-sodium baking soda (which is incidentally a calcium source...nice), 2 T service berries that had stored in vinegar, and 1 or 2 T of the vinegar off the berries, and 1 T cocoa powder.   The soda and vinegar of course make it rise more cake like.  Especially now that I have the hang of using the no sodium baking soda.  The vinegar/soda ratio is different than with regular soda.  ANYWAY, mixed it up, quite thick like drop biscuit, almost a dough.   Heated up coconut oil in the skillet on the wee stove and bake/fried it with the flame on super low and the lid on the pan but cracked to let the moisture out.  About 7-8 min per side and I had a nice cake-y treat that was not sweet, bit tangy with the berries that go well with the bitter cocoa.   

My neighbor is storing her berries in vinegar as well and really likes them.  It's fun when I can share a tip with someone who has 24 years on me and has shared some killer offgrid tips with me!   


So, clearly less inflamed as well.  My arthritic knee is less painful.  No more mobile yet, but less painful is good.

My left big toe (yes Mom, I had to double check the left/right issue...thanks for the dyslexia!) seized up a few months back after I dropped an 8lb log on it and the corner of the end of the log hit the main joint where it joins the foot.  I've been fighting this since January with warming it up and stretching per my Dr's orders. The tendons/ligaments all stiffened up and got inflamed from the blow.  Dang it.   Apparently this takes time to get the mobility back.  My fingers and toes are overly mobile, bending back to 90degs, so going from frozen flat to full mobility is a slow process.  With avoiding sugar/salt/processed food it is less sore and slightly more mobile.  I think I'm between 45 and 60 degs now.  Better.

I'm prepping meals and trying to make sure I have food ready at work so I don't get caught hungry and I also realize that I am not going to starve if I miss a lunch.

A commenter asked about the Banana Eggs in the pervious post.  I think I've done the recipe before but since I am making them specifically anti-inflammatory this month more than most, I will share the recipes (skillet and microwave style).

I keep a pint jar of my anti-inflammatory spice mix on hand at home and at the office and use it almost daily.

Current mix: 1 1/2C turmeric, 1 C cinnamon, 1/2C cloves, 1/2C nutmeg  (usually only 1C turmeric but I had more of that than cinnamon when I mixed this batch up).  I buy the spices in bulk at ethnic stores, a food co-op or the back end of  TJ max type stores.  I keep an eye out and grab it when any one of them hits about 5$/lb or less.   


Anti-Inflammatory Banana Eggs in a Skillet

1 T anti-inflammatory spice mix

1 banana, over ripe is good, over ripe and frozen then thawed while still whole and peel on is easiest.

2 eggs

1T oil

Mix up the banana and the spices.  If the banana is frozen and thawed it is already super mushy and easy to nearly liquify.  Mix slowly as the turmeric stains everything if it puffs out of the bowl.

Add the 2 eggs and mix until the whites aren't identifiable anymore.  If you are picky, beat them well before you throw the eggs into the banana bowl but I don't want to bother dirtying 2 bowls.  I also mix with the fork I will eat with.

Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet.  Once spit or water dances in the oil, put in the mix, turn the heat to medium. Wash the fork.

When it will slide around the pan while you shake it and maintain its shape and the top is set, flip it.

Once that side is cooked, eat it.   It is good with berries on it or just plain.  Eat right out of the skillet if you don't want to dirty a plate.


Anti-Inflammatory Banana Eggs in the Microwave.

Find a microwave safe bowl about cereal/soup size.  Too deep and the middle takes forever to cook.

1 T anti-inflammatory spice mix

1 banana, over ripe is good, over ripe and frozen then thawed while still whole and peel on is easiest.

2 eggs

Mix up the spice and the banana.  Mix in the eggs.  Mix them a bit more than you think.

Cook in the microwave for 1 minute.  Mix again.   Put back in the microwave and cook for 30sec to 1 min.  My microwave at work takes 2 min total, but it is low power.  Check it often the first few times.

Yes, the spice mix is a tad bitter.  Cinnamon sweetens it up and if I have been of sugary stuff for a while, it tastes just complex.  Not bitter or sweet.

If you are up for it, a bit of fresh cracked black pepper on the final product is supposed to kick up the anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric but I generally forget that.





No comments: