Wednesday, September 23, 2020

10 Day Local Food Challenge Attempt, Maybe in October

It's not the easiest season to try this without prep months ago, but it's not the hardest either.
http://localfoodchallenge.org/how-to-2/

Here's the deal from Vicki Robin (of "Your Money or Your Life" fame)


Go 10 days, in a roweating only food sourced within 100 miles or so from your home. You are allowed 10 exotics, which are foods not found in that target area.



Things that make it easier and not toooo spendy: 

I have eggs/chickens which hopefully won't die during the 10 days I pick.
I have a fishing license and access to fish-laden waters.
I have easy access to local honey
I have access to a local farmers market.
I have lots of berries preserved in vinegar.  Berries I picked myself, vinegar isn't local (see exotics section).
I live alone so no one needs to be bothered by my shenanigans.

Challenges might be:
Picking the 10 things.  Like, I think the master bread maker uses random flour, not necessarily LOCAL flour even though we are in wheat country.
I do have access to wheat products produced within 100 miles, and to wild rice (though it's grown in questionable waters) produced locally so I'm not short on access to grains.

Skills/traits that might help me:
I can cook with what I can get
I will eat what I have to eat especially if one of my "exotics" is mustard or hot pepper.

So, the 10 exotics.
1) I'm thinking a fruit, like bananas to make banana eggs.
2) Also an oil.  I don't fry bacon so I don't have grease handy all the time. I would LIKE to fry bacon but living in a small space smelly foods are a commitment to smelling like that, all the clothes/hair/blankets/etc; for a long time.
3) Mustard seeds
4) Vinegar.  These two are so I can keep making my home-brewed mustard. It's super good and even makes slightly crap soup bearable. Also, it's already on the berries.
5) 
pepper.  I can live without salt, but pepper...get real.
6) Nutmeg (for the banana eggs or any baking)
7) Coffee
8) Cocoa powder 
9) Almonds or whatever nut/seed is cheap...possibly sunflower seeds (so I can make fake milk if I want to and to have a "grab-n-go protein other than boiled eggs)
10) Cinnamon!  For the banana eggs and any baking/pancake stuff

IF I'd planned months ago I could have canned apples and other fruits/berries.  Canned/dried tomatoes and veggies or planted the garden earlier.

No comments: