Sunday, July 12, 2020

101 Money Saving Ideas: The 1st 11

I'm copying this from Censtible Living with Money Mom, a youtuber I get a big kick, and good ideas, from.  From whom I get kicks and ideas?  Well, let's let the grammar go and move on.

Money Mom is a sweety with a cute supportive husband (as far as one can tell from youtube...I thought that about another youtuber until she got a divorce and talked about the magic of editing!).

Anywhooo, she is doing a series working up to 100 money saving tips.
I am going for 101 because I like prime numbers (asperger spectrum anyone?  anyone?)

These are not in any order other than how they occur to me each time I try to blog them.

1  The MASTER LIST.  This is on my ipodphone (an old iphone from my sister with the sim card removed so now it's more of an ipod than a phone).  It's with me all of the time.  I have subcategories for groceries, hardware, thrift, gardening, etc.   If I'm in a store or at a yard sale or on craigslist or whatever, I can check the list.  I recently, during the 'rona times, added a category of "stock up" items that I don't need immediately BUT could get if they are on an incredible sale

2 Price point list/idea.  I know that if I find organic peanut butter (or other nutbutter) for under 2$/lb, I should get it.  This feeds into that "stock up" part of the master list.  I may have other proteins in stock e.g. beans, eggs, BUT if the peanut butter (shelf stable, long storage life) is on sale that low, I can get a jar or two.  Not more.  Do not overfill the storage space.  I keep an idea of prices on things like chicken feed, shelf stable proteins and grains, hardware bits and pieces (staples, philips head screws, nails, hinges), undies, sox, and other consumables.  But if they aren't on the master list, it's better to go home first and see if I need them.

3 Job market awareness.  I have a job and I like it.  Not looking to quit.  Times though, they are always a-changin'.  So, good to know what's out there, what I could make here or on a move to elsewhere. 

4  Check my supply stock regularly.  I'm better at doing this for food and clothes than for other things but I try to keep up with the other bits like seeds for the garden, hardware odds and ends, lumber.  If you don't know what you have, you don't know what you need or if what you are thinking is a good deal will fit in with what you have. 

5 Put out the word!  Got this one from The Tightwad Gazette years ago and it works.  If there is something you need/want but don't see often or have a pretty low pricepoint on, put out the word.  I have friends who go to flea markets and things more than I do.  If I go, I will buy.  So instead, I let these friends know what I would like and my TOP dollar price.  This worked great when I wanted a row tiller (old fashioned garden thing that is super useful).  They found one at the price within a couple of weeks.  I always look myself for a while first and then wait to see if I really really want it because when you put out the word, you usually get it and you must pay for it.

6  Check the recycling center.  There is a free book bin, cardboard (good for gardening and things), free metal bin, big cans, glass (got 3 perfect 1 quart mason jars a while ago).  Before I go there, I think through things that I can actually use.  Truly this is more of a "projects I'd like to do" than specific things I need.  I want to do more paper bricks for the woodstove in winter but need something to dry them on.  Also I'm selling at a farmers market and need something to put a sign on.  Last time I went to the recycling center I thought through this.  When I got there I found a circle of metal about 2' in diameter painted yellow, in good shape.  Will make a fine sign holder with a bit of wood and a hinge (see above harware bits and bobs).  There were also wire racks out of a fridge or something.  Those will work to dry the bricks on.   A couple of times I've taken things that looked super useful but I didn't end up using.  Those go back for the next person or to someone who admires them.  A half-bucket with a flat side went to a neighbor with horses.  It's made for horses but just looked useful to me.

7 Maintain the vehicles.  I change the oil and check the tires and even check the torque on the lug nuts.  Boring, but keeps them going and keeps me from getting in preventable trouble.  Also keep the tanks full-ish.  (Which reminds me...gas up the truck!)

8  Know the gas prices!  I keep an eye on gas prices each time I pass a station.  I know where it is usually cheapest, but that can change. If I'm in a pricy area and really need fuel, I may get 5 gallons and then fuel fully next time I'm near the cheaper gas.  There is one super cheap station I do not go to because I always lose 10mpg when I buy gas there.  They'd have to be MUCH MUCH cheaper to make it worth it and I don't know if the gas is watery or what. 

9 Be nice.  It's not in my nature, but it gets you cheaper stuff and referrals to cheaper stuff.  Like I was in the hardware store and even though the dude at the counter drives me bonkers, I am nice to him.  He used his own membership card on a purchase I was making and saved me 5$ off 30$. 

10 Shift $$ into the higher yield savings account each paycheck.  I now have the paycheck auto deposited.  The day after payday I go online and check my accounts and shift any extra in checking over into the higher pay savings account. I don't do CDs or longer term things other than retirement right now as I need the liquid cash for paying off construction costs.  That available liquid cash is going to save me about 10% on this phase of construction which is much more than a CD or other short-mid range investment would in my income range.

11 Keep track of spending every day.  I write down my spending every single day.  I reconcile it at the end of each month.  Sometimes I do a mid month check to see how things are going.  Boring but it works.


No comments: