Tuesday, April 28, 2009

VACATION!!!! DAY 1

Today I flew to Denver to visit Jonny (hi jonny). I got in at about 2pm and Jonny picked me up at 2:30. He had been at class and needed to get back to work.

Here he is working:













I'm sitting at a lovely desk tha thas a panoramic view of the mountains and free wifi. Jonny provided his laptop with a "guest" user and password just for me. He's so sweet. On the way he stopped at the Super Target so I could get some food. I had a lovely wrap that turned out to have some roquefort in it. Oops. I don't think it was much since it was the 3rd to the last ingredient, after "vinegar" and "salt". I have the neti pot so don't think I'll end up with any dairy-sinus issues.

Anyway, I hear there is a whole foods on the way home which is good as I need some seasalt and apple cider vinegar. I just couldn' t face explaining 2 white powders (sea salt and baking soda) and some vinegar to the security at the airport so will buy it here. I haven't washed my hair in a week. I thought about it this morning but it always gets gross while flying anyway so why bother. I've got all day tomorrow relaxing at Jonny's swinging pad (I accidentally typed "swining" pad which would be totally different) before the big show.

Someone has already posted segments of the Unwigged tour.
Here's a taste:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsU0cGZpurA
(it won't embed...son of a BITCH)

Anyway, hope they don't mind my carharts and a sweater because that is what I brought. I packed for 6 days in a small day pack. It's usually my field pack.

To try to comply with the "no more plastic bottles thing" I decided to bring a enamel ware cup rather than the steel bottle. The bottle would look incriminating on the x-ray. And I didn't want them taking it because it's 20$ or so. So, I went with the cup. Of course I was tempted by the Starbucks in the airport (I don't usually indulge in that, prefer local businesses) and got an iced soy chai which they put in a plastic cup! Dammit. Oh well. I'm using the enamel cup now at Jonny's office.

Maybe I'll get a hip metal bottle here and give it to Jonny as part of his hostess gift.

Speaking of that...I was reading his hostess gift on the plane and realized that it probably didn't look good. I had picked up a copy of "Male Sexuality" (a self-help book from the 1970s) at a thrift store and added that to the copy of "Everything you ever wanted to know about sex but were afraid to ask" that I had already gotten (same thrift store...theme?). Well, reading that on the plane was probably not making me look classy. I didn't want to stand up and explain to everyone who had walked down aisle and seen me giggling over pages with LARGE PRINT headers suggesting I take stock of my sex life or perhaps write a letter to myself from my ...um... "male appendage"; that I was reading this book IRONICALLY. I figured that would just make it worse. I didn't feel like reading the magazine that was in the seat pocket and had been handled by god knows who. That normally doesn't bother me but I really don't want to get sick at the start of a vacation.

Anyway, here I sit in a lovely ec0-appropriate office drinking my water out of a cup I brought from home..woohoo!


Jonny tells me that the urinals are waterless but I haven't been able to confirm that. I think I'll make a run to the ladies and come report on that....

OK, I couldn’t find the women’s room and the free wifi just died so now I’m typing into a word document and lost the photo and this never works. Oh well. I can always retype it later. It’s not like I have much to do.

Jonny showed me the way to the women's room.

The women’s room is lovely! Big, roomy, plenty of turlets. AND they are dual flush with a green-colored handle, which according to the signage on the wall is an antibacterial coating. It was “up for liquid waste” and “down for solid waste”. This left me with many questions. What if you can’t quite decide if that was liquid or solid? Anyway, I’ll leave it there, shall I?


But first, some photos:


Full view of turlet area with green "anti-bacterial handle"















And here is a close-up of the instructions (I took all photos BEFORE using the turlet).














The internet is still down but Jonny has real work to do so I’m trying not to bother him. I do have the iPod that Pam sends preloaded so I can always listen to that. So hard not to bother Jonny while he works…must not do it. Hmmm…what to do. I suppose I could try to break into other parts of his computer. I don’t know how to do that. I can dig a square hole but I can’t “hack” into a computer.

Time to iPod…ah….Pilkington. The thing is acting up a bit. Must need re-whatevered.

(posted later from Jonny's place while he makes me steam-sauteed broccoli with basmati rice pilaf and tequila lime salmon burgers...mmmm)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What fun, Jill! Jon probably loves having you visit because he can get all creative in the kitchen and not worry that you'll turn your nose up at 97.3% of the ingredients (that would be ME). The dual-handled terlet (my Grandpa Callahan used to call it that :-) handle. I think you need to explain that one further. I'm glad you finally found the women's restroom and didn't crawl under Jonny's desk and go "anthro" style (which is my mind is the sort of "squat and go" way that archaeologists have to go when they are on a dig. I'm assuming that urinating in/on the dig is a big no no. No number of Clinque make-up brushes will clean up that mess. Have a great great time. Give Jon a big hug from me, and then tell him to give you a big hug from me.