Monday, December 11, 2023

I Ate Pig Heart

 Not one of the transplanted ones. This one was NOT GMO like the transplanted ones.

It was the cheap healthy meat available at the winter market.

First...a tiny rant:  THE MARKET BOSSES LIMITED THE NUMBER OF BAKERS! to ONE per market. WTF?  I want sweet treats, BITCH.   The one baker there had some bread and some doughy looking cinnamon rolls.  Where were the cranky lefse ladies?  Where was my cute baker with her magical fig cake and lemon bars and every thing she makes?  EXCLUDED.   Plenty of crafts but here's something the market bosses might want to note:  people with low blood sugar don't impulse buy as much as people hopped up on artisanal tarts.


OK, so, I got eggs...some of the best eggs I've seen.   And a pig heart.  It was only 5$/lb for pastured meat.  I asked how to cook it as last time I got a pig heart it was rubber band texture.  And flavor.  It was also small which is nice.  2/3lb.  I cut off all the tendon and silver skin stuff I could which probably took 2oz of meat with it.  The seller told me she cooks it hot and fast after marinating it.   And that any tendon or silver skin would be gross.  (of course NOW I want to can hearts whole in pint jars with the gross bits still on them...what great valentine gifts!!!)

So I did that.  Not the canning, the trimming and marinating.  I used the last tablespoon of olive oil in a jar, some vinegar and a scoop of ras al hanout seasoning from a favorite Aunt (Thanks Chris!).   

I left that for the afternoon on Sunday.   Then heated up the woodstove since it was getting cold inside the wee shed.  And fried up slices of heart in a bit of coconut oil.  It is REALLY lean meat.  

The instructions were to get it to look about medium, take it off the heat and let it sit a few minutes.

I had eaten all my side dishes earlier so I was faced with a plate of heart chunks.  I got out some spicy mustard.

It wasn't bad!  So that's a great improvement on the last time I made it.  It was "meh".  The mustard helped.  It cooled off super fast since it was like 45 degrees in the shed.  I will try it again...and I really really want to try canning whole hearts in pint jars.  It would be so gross and cool.  

No comments: