Thursday, January 27, 2022

Pantry Challenge Update: 1 Month and 27 Days

 After today, just 4 days to go on the pantry challenge.


Right now I am cooking up the final squash in the work microwave.  ALSO found a tiny, mostly dried up garlic head, like 3-4 cloves, in the bottom drawer of the work fridge.  I know it is mine because I am the only one who uses the drawer and I'm the only one with fresh veg, and I'm the only one who would have a garlic head with dirt on it rather than shiny store bought garlic.

I'm thinking of throwing tomatoes on some of the squash for lunch (this is breakfast time, the microwave is free now).  With some spicy garlic seasoning and maybe an egg on the side.  Or not.

Looks like I will get 4 small portions or 3 good sized ones.  We'll see.  

The radish sprouts are finally going !   Warmer at the office than home so they are doing better.  Might take them home for the weekend if they are far enough along.

I got an invite to a friend's house on Saturday to help with farm chores and see the baby lambs.   The friend is a feeder so I will eat what is served.  

For the rest of this week and the weekend, I'm taking home the smoked duck, some service berries in vinegar, and maybe something else.


I FINALLY used the out of date desiccated coconut I had gotten at ross dress for less ages ago.  I mixed it into melted coconut oil and threw in a bit of peppermint emulsion I have had for literally years.  Put it in a bee-themed silicone cake mold (thanks pam) that works also as a chocolate/candy mold.  I put a tiny bit of stevia in the mix but I don't think it was needed.  Had one with my coffee.  I wonder if it counts as a fat bomb?  Anyway, will finally just eat that stupid coconut.

I might also bring the last of my maple syrup home for the weekend.  It is major delicious.

I am totally out of nuts!  Ate up the walnuts a few days ago when I was too lazy to cook.  Also had some in pancakes which was really nice with the maple syrup.  

Still have plenty of dried mushrooms, beans, lentils, a cup or so of rye berries and some chicos.  I have a half cup of chicos soaking so I can hopefully have duck with them for lunch tomorrow.  They take to long to cook to have for supper tonight.  I'd be up until midnight.  So, cook them up, put them out in a tin overnight to freeze (helps soften beans so I think it might work on chicos) and then spice up and stew again with duck or beans for a meal.


I am still amazed how long the pantry stock is lasting.  Even with the meals out, I have plenty of protein, nutritious veg/fruit options left.  Also whole wheat flour, leavening, coconut and almond flour and various things to throw in to make keto style meals.  With the sprouts on line now, also some fresh green things.

The TP is getting low.  Partly because I have lots of stock and haven't been scrimping.  I think I am lowish on hand sanitizer at home but I prefer to use soap and water so using that has just been laziness.


I'm working a list for a gradual resupply with more of the things I will truly eat up so there isn't as much stuff hanging around super long term.  I think I will also keep posting a penciled list of things to eat up over my cooking/prep area.  I don't' always eat them on the assigned week, but faster than if I just leave them jammed in the back of the pantry stock.  Also, dividing up the big packages and portioning them out by a week's supply worked well.  Made for a more useful active pantry right by the food prep area and a more manageable inventory of the longer term storage locations.

A close out inventory should prove interesting.

No comments: