Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Pantry Challenge Day 22 Update

 As expected, holiday gifts and requisite dinners out are contributing to the ease of the project.

Friends are dropping off treats to the point I over eat massively.  Even fasted yesterday to correct a sugar binge from overindulgence in treats.  Too much sugary stuff!!!!  Delicious, but too sugary.


Then, another friend who is not aware of my experiment took me to lunch.  Not going would be rude so I went and said thank you and enjoyed my meal.  


An Aunt (THANKS!) sent a box with a few wrapped xmas gifts and a ton of really nice food!  Just had a bit of the pre-cooked basmati rice with breakfast.  So convenient, healthy and delicious.  

Perhaps the funnest thing in there is peppercorns!   We all know I was low on those when I started the experiment.  So those are especially welcome and will easily get me through January.

Honestly, so many calories of stuff have come in that I've shared some stuff back out to others.  Also, a few things were just too salty or made of dairy (not from the Aunt!  Her stuff is all still with me).   Another friend contributed peanuts and some almond butter from our trip to 2nd harvest.  How fun and delicious.  I could make fried rice with peanuts and the basmati.  I wonder if I can make like a peanut sauce with the almond butter.  I think some jarred chicken with peanut (almond) sauce w2ould be a reasonable flavor match for satay.   


Which points out my favorite part of a pantry challenge.  It spurs creativity.  I haven't even started my sprouts yet.  Jeez.  Must get on that.  Clearly I am not hurting for veggies.  During the restaurant trips I am trying to get lean burgers in lettuce wraps with side salads so I'm getting more of my veg at restaurants.


One jar of fermented carrots wasn't doing well so I refocused and froze them in portions.  Will add to soups later.  Or a pilaf.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your gifts and meals out!

Yum, satay!

Sad to say, I'm a recipe follower - not very creative in the kitchen. When I go to the trouble to cook, I just want it to turn out edible (at the least).

L.

Jill said...

I like a good recipe! not quite as much as a poorly written recipe though.
I search for recipes that use up what I have and will need one for peanut sauce which I hope doesn't call for too many things I don't already own.