Saturday, September 4, 2021

Thrifty Mistake and "What would you do?" response

 Firstly, I am having a disorganized day.   Went to the mondo hardware this morning (local owner, not big box), and FORGOT to load half my prepaid order because I got over excited about the 6' long "scraps" in the free bin (which I scouted before I placed and paid for the lumber package up front so I could save $$).   The dude at the exit gate who checks what you got asked if I wanted to go back in and get the rest of the order.  DOH!   Yes please.   He had just cut off a finger joint so I don't think he judged me for being a tad stupid.  The finger was all bandaged up.  I told him if the attempt to sew it back on didn't take, he'd look like a shop teacher.  Fortunately, he laughed.

Second.  I've been watching the "what would you do" frugal vids on the youtubes.

The game is that there are a few ingredients and no money, no resources to go get food.   Then, make meals for 1-7 days for 1 person or a family.   Basically a food is running out scenario.

I've had those days.  Talking to a cousin  I found out that when the family of siblings were all kids, our gramma stopped by to find that the only food in the house was bread with mouse holes in it.  Gramma got mad and told the mom to always let Gram know when the kids were hungry.  The dad at the time was in the hospital with pneumonia so out of work for a few weeks or more.   

I had some lean times in college grad school.  I don't remember any food insecure times as a kid but I remember going to the town where both gramma's were once when my father was on strike for a while.  Mom gardened, froze food, and shopped well.   My father fished and hunted and occasionally an animal may or may not have been butchered in the basement at night (lived in town). I don't think you can prosecute the deceased for poaching or bogarting roadkill.

What I did in college/grad school when money was so low I couldn't get more food...and I thought I had no right to the public food pantry (I did, I was genuinely broke) was stretch what I had.

By my senior year I was getting better at it.  I had learned to make sourdough starter and bread.  At one point I was down to a few dollars, and 2 new jobs so 6 weeks to eat before a paycheck showed up (2 week pay period but pay delayed a month after the end of the pay period...the 80s were not a peak time for the low paid worker).

I assessed what I had.  Then went to the store.  I remember getting a big bag of flour and another of sugar, and some tomato sauce or paste in cans.  I could get more calories per dollar that way.  I managed a pound or two of ground beef.  Took it home.  Started the sourdough.  Divided the meat into small baggies to spread the protein out.  I had some condiments and spices and baking cocoa.  And no doubt pasta and spaghetti sauce (I didn't know how to make it myself yet...DOH!)

I remember the landlord coming in to fix something and seeing me eat pasta sauce by dipping bread in it (delicious fresh baked bread at least...)

I could make a "sauce" of baking cocoa and sugar as well.  More bread dipping.

The meat was fried in crumbles and I could make 1-2 sandwiches with one little baggie.  The next day I would fry bread in the left over burger grease (probably supplemented with cheap veg oil from the cupboard).  

NOT the most nutritious but I made it.  I knew it was short term and fortunately that turned out to be true.  One major injury and it could have been permanent.

So, that's what I'd do.

During 'Rona Round 1, i.e. 2020, I would take a few things out of pantry stock and eat on them for however long to use them up.  Handy.  Sort of the marathon version of 'what would you do.'

Key to that is taking a pantry inventory which I need to do. I started one the other day, but I fell asleep. 

No comments: