Saturday, March 13, 2021

The Ladies Are Back on the Production Line

 

It seems all the hens are laying again.  Nice.

Here is the range of colors:


Light tan must be from the barred rock, Porky.  I have 2 white layers.  This is from the larger on, Pearl.  She's a white leghorn.  I also have the brown leghorn banty, Flora, who lays TINY white eggs and there is a tiny egg in the laying box today.  I left it as bait so they keep laying up in the boxes.  The darker brown is from one of the red-sex-link, aka Novogen, type hens.  I have Suzanne (might be Brittany...not sure who got killed by a raccoon but I'm sticking with the name "Suzanne" now), who is 2 years old or more.  The other red-sex-link is Gertrude who is just a year old and laid most of the winter, though not every day and slowed down.   The blue in the lower left is from Pru, and aracauna/ameracauna (I see so many spellings I give up).  She's the only blue egger.  They aren't as large.  I think Porky's egg today is a double yolk.  I am letting it age a bit so I can boil it up and may a double deviled egg because that would be amusing.
The darker brown eggs run extra large to jumbo.  The big white ones are the same.  The blue eggs run large to extra large.  The small white ones are small to medium size eggs.
I am SUPER surprised Flora is putting out eggs.  She is probably 5 years old.  When I got her last year the owner who was giving away banties said they were mostly 4 years old.  

It was nice out today and I was doing chores and moving manure.  The hens LOVED it.  Stirred up bugs and things I guess.   It was around 60 degrees out! The creek is running and they were happy.

So was I.







No comments: