Tuesday, February 16, 2021

No Food-Spend February Update 2

 It's going fine.  Amazingly fine.  Like beyond fine.

Today's menu, I was "working from home" (I did do a virtual meeting so some work.  Also took comptime): 

Breakfast: Brown Rice Pancake thingies.  I like to add eggs to left overs and make them into breakfast.  I made brown rice (free, 2nd harvest) yesterday and added powdered eggs (gift so...free) because the hens are not having it right now, coffee from the free crap at work, cinnamon (1cent), nutmeg (1cent) and water (free).   Total:  2cents


Lunch:  Noodle soup with lentils.   1 onion (free 2nd harvest), a 1/4cup scoop of dried veg from the food co-op (about 5cents), spaghetti for the noodles (free, 2nd harvest), dried mushrooms (gift), vinegar (pineapple vinegar I made myself from pineapple skin and core and a bit of sugar...maybe 1cent for the sugar), black pepper (1cent), spice mix (gift, free), coconut oil (1cent), 1/4c red lentils (more expensive...like a dime).           Total: 18cents


Snack:  Rooibos Tea (gift...thanks Chris!),  Tiny cocoa pancakes (Apparently I felt like making pancakes today)  Flour (free, 2nd harvest), powdered eggs (free), baking cocoa 1T (2cents maybe...it was on sale), baking powder 1/2tsp (1cent), coconut oil (1 cent)          Total: 4cents.

Supper: Spaghetti with cracked pepper and a pinch of salt (surprisingly delicious and I'd just had my snack so it wasn't much).   Spaghetti (free, 2nd harvest), peppercorns (1cent), salt (less than 1 cent but we'll call it a penny).      Total: 2 cents

Total for the day: 26cents.   Just over 2 bits    

Yesterday I had apples as well, 2nd harvest.  I brought home enough for a couple of days but they are sweet like candy and I ate them all the first day.  Oh well.  


I shoveled snow for 2 hours or so yesterday and an hour today.   We have a total of 11 inches on the ground as of an hour ago.  NUTS.  Before the storm, no snow  Zero.  Zip . Nada  It DUMPED in 2 days.   I shoveled in 2 shifts today but can still feel it in my back.   Time for more yoga to keep that moving.   The shoulders are a bit wonky as well.  Anyway, as a result of all the shoveling, and the effort of walking through a foot of snow, I got some serious exercise and probably ate more than usual.  I've been avoiding having a snack most days, instead just lovely tea.


I meant to bring home some meat in jars or frozen elk (YUM! Thanks Rik) but forgot.  Hopefully I will remember it for the weekend along with some of the canned veggies from 2nd harvest.  The fresh onions and apples were a real treat.   


IF you haven't tried roasting onions instead of frying them, you are missing out.  I am roasting mine inside the woodstove, but an oven will work as well.   DO NOT roast them in the microwave at work.  They taste delicious but people were p.o'd at me for WEEKS.  The weeks it took for the smell to dissipate.

I'm working on a post about woodstove cookery when it's not a cookstove.   Hopefully post that later this week.   (see...I learned from the youtubers to tease a future episode).


No comments: